Uncle Meat is the fifth studio album by The Mothers of Invention, released as a double album in 1969. Uncle Meat was originally developed as a part of No Commercial Potential, a project which spawned three other albums sharing a conceptual connection: We're Only in It for the Money, Lumpy Gravy and Cruising with Ruben & the Jets
Band Name The Mothers Of Invention. Album Name Uncle Meat. Released date 21 April 1969. Labels Bizarre-Reprise Records. Members owning this album8. Side 1. 1. Uncle Meat : Main Title Theme. 2. The Voice of Cheese. 5. Dog Breath, in the Year of the Plague. 6. The Legend of the Golden Arches. 7. Louie Louie (at the Royal Albert Hall in London). 8. The Dog Breath Variations.
Just three years into their recording career, the Mothers of Invention released their second double album, Uncle Meat, which began life as the largely instrumental soundtrack to an unfinished film. It's essentially a transitional work, but it's a fascinating one, showcasing Frank Zappa's ever-increasing compositional dexterity and the Mothers' emerging instrumental prowess. It was potentially easy to overlook Zappa's melodic gifts on albums past, but on Uncle Meat, he thrusts them firmly into the spotlight; what few lyrics there are, Zappa says in the liner notes, are.
Uncle Meat The Mothers of Invention. Listen on Apple Music. Uncle Meat: Main Title Theme.
Frank Zappa – 11-The Uncle Meat Variations (1969-Uncl. 7:34. The Mothers of Invention – Uncle Meat Film Excerpt Part I. 1:48. Frank Zappa 1969 Uncle Meat (Vo. ) – 08 The Dog Breath Variations. The Mothers Of Invention – Uncle Meat. Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention – King Kong VI (Live On A Flat Bed Diesel I. :59. The Mothers of Invention - Uncle Meat (1969) – Dog Breath, in the Year of the Plague. The Mothers of Invention - Uncle Meat (1969) – Project X. 3:27. The Mothers of Invention – The Legend Of The Golden Arches.
Genre: Experimental Rock. This album is literally a crazy and bizarre fever dream. It's about two hours of sleep paralysis, but in a fun yet disorienting way. There really is no specific mood on this album, but all of the songs go together. It's a masterful conglomeration of weird ideas, some that take up less than a minute long and some that take up more than ten minutes. Zappa and his buds were geniuses. Color: Yellow FAV TRACKS: The Air, Dog Breath, In the Year of the Plague, Mr. Green Genes, Electric Aunt. 100. the weirdest album i have ever heard.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|A1||Uncle Meat: Main Title Theme||1:54|
|A2||The Voice Of Cheese
Voice [Uncredited] – Pamela Zarubica
|A3||9 Types Of Industrial Pollution||5:56|
|A5||Dog Breath, In The Year Of The Plague||5:51|
|A6||The Legend Of The Golden Arches||1:24|
|A7||The Mothers Play Louie Louie At The Royal Albert Hall In London||2:28|
|A8||The Dog Breath Variations||1:36|
|B1||Sleeping In A Jar||0:49|
|B2||Our Bizarre Relationship
Voice [Uncredited] – Pamela Zarubica
|B3||The Uncle Meat Variations||4:40|
|B4||Electric Aunt Jemima||1:53|
|B5||Prelude To King Kong||3:24|
|B6||God Bless America (Live At The Whisky A Go Go)||1:22|
|B7||A Pound For A Brown On The Bus||1:29|
|B8||Ian Underwood Whips It Out (Live On Stage In Copenhagen)||5:08|
|C1||Mr. Green Genes||3:10|
|C2||We Can Shoot You||1:48|
|C3||"If We'd All Been Living In California . . . "||1:29|
|C6||Cruising For Burgers||2:19|
|D1||King Kong Itself (As Played By The Mothers In A Studio)||0:53|
|D2||King Kong (Its Magnificence As Interpreted By Dom DeWild)||1:15|
|D3||King Kong (As Motorhead Explains It)||1:44|
|D4||King Kong (The Gardner Varieties)||6:17|
|D5||King Kong (As Played By 3 Deranged Good Humor Trucks)||0:29|
|D6||King Kong (Live On A Flat Bed Diesel In The Middle Of A Race Track At A Miami Pop Festival . . . The Underwood Ramifications)||7:22|
- Record Company – Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Records, Inc.
- Distributed By – Warner Bros. - Seven Arts Records, Inc.
- Published By – Frank Zappa Music
- Recorded At – Apostolic Studios
- Overdubbed At – Sunset Sound Recorders
- Pressed By – Columbia Records Pressing Plant, Terre Haute
- Design [Package Designed By] – Cal Schenkel
- Drums [Cheerful Outlook & Specific Enquiries], Timpani, Vibraphone, Marimba, Xylophone, Wood Block [Wood Blocks], Bells, Chimes [Small] – Artie (With The Green Mustache) Tripp*
- Drums [Droll Humor, Poverty] – Jimmy Carl Black
- Drums [Some Tracks] – Billy (The Oozer) Mundi*
- Effects [Percussion Effects] – Jerry Hansen
- Electric Bass – Roy Estrada
- Electric Organ, Piano, Harpsichord, Celesta, Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Baritone Saxophone, Copyist [Special Assistance, Industrial Relations, Teen Appeal] – Ian Underwood
- Electric Piano [Tarot Cards, Brown Rice] – Don (Dom DeWild) Preston*
- Engineer – Richard Kunc*, Jerry Hansen
- Guitar, Vocals [Low Grade], Percussion – Frank Zappa
- Marimba, Vibraphone [Many Tracks] – Ruth Komanoff
- Piccolo Flute, Clarinet, Flute, Bass Clarinet, Soprano Saxophone, Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Bassoon – Bunk (Sweetpants) Gardner*
- Producer – Frank Zappa
- Soprano Vocals – Nelcy Walker (tracks: A5, B3)
- Soprano Vocals [Pachuco Falsetto, Cheeseburgers] – Roy* (tracks: A5, B3)
- Soprano Vocals [Swell Vocals] – Ray* (tracks: A5, B3)
- Tenor Saxophone [Frenetic Stylings], Tambourine, Choreography [Pop Star, Obstinance], Technician [Equipment Setter-upper - When He's Not Hustling Local Groupies] – Euclid James (Motorhead/Motorishi) Sherwood*
- Vocals – Ray Collins
- Written-By – Frank Zappa
- Written-By [Uncredited] – Irving Berlin (tracks: B6), Richard Berry (tracks: A7)
NotesAlternate Bizarre/Reprise release with A3 listed on cover and label as "9 Types Of Industrial Pollution"
Issued with gatefold sleeve and 12-page color booklet (drawings, photos, paintings).
First Category on labels and spine, second on front cover and inside the gatefold.
Reprise W7Arts rounded logo on labels
Recorded at Apostolic Studios, NYC
October 1967-February 1968
Percussion overdubs at Sunset Sound, LA
March-April, 1968 [Note: Sunset Sound Recorders in 1968]
Drummer Billy Mundi is credited as "...on some pieces before he quit to join Rhinoceros"
Special thanks to:
Ruth Komanoff who plays marimba and vibes with Artie on many of the tracks, and
Nelcy Walker the soprano voice with Ray & Roy on Dog Breath & The Uncle Meat Variations.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Matrix / Runout (Side I Runout Etched): T 30871 MS2024A-1A 1
- Matrix / Runout (Side II Runout Etched): 30874 MS2024B-1C
- Matrix / Runout (Side III Runout Etched): 30872 MS2024C -1D PXT
- Matrix / Runout (Side III Runout Etched (Variant)): T 30872 MS2024C -1A 1
- Matrix / Runout (Side IV Runout Etched): T 30873 MS2024D -1F
- Rights Society: BMI
|2MS 2024, 2024||The Mothers Of Invention*||Uncle Meat (2xLP, Album, CTH)||Bizarre Records, Bizarre Records, Reprise Records||2MS 2024, 2024||US||1969|
|CDD ZAP3, CDDZAP 3||Frank Zappa||Uncle Meat (2xCD, Album, RE)||Zappa Records, Zappa Records||CDD ZAP3, CDDZAP 3||Europe||1987|
|RCD 10506/07||Frank Zappa / The Mothers Of Invention*||Frank Zappa / The Mothers Of Invention* - Uncle Meat (2xCD, Album, RE, RM, RP)||Rykodisc||RCD 10506/07||US||Unknown|
|JPCD 2000141/42||Frank Zappa, The Mothers Of Invention*||Frank Zappa, The Mothers Of Invention* - Uncle Meat (2xCD, Album, Unofficial)||Not On Label (Frank Zappa)||JPCD 2000141/42||Russia||2000|
|RCD 10064/65||Frank Zappa||Uncle Meat (2xCD, Album, RE, RM)||Rykodisc||RCD 10064/65||US||1987|